Monday, August 9, 2010

A Little Update

Today is my first day since having my kids that I have the house to myself and no schoolwork to do.  I am looking forward to deep-cleaning my house!  I know crazy.  But it hasn't been cleaned properly since sometime before I started school.

Friday was my last day of Summer semester - and boy was it a rough one.  Going to school full-time has been a huge adjustment.  I knew it would be hard to put the girls in school full-time, but that I could handle it.  What I didn't anticipate was how little time I would get to spend with my husband and kids in the evenings.  My typical day went something like this:

6:00am - get myself dressed and ready for school
6:45am - girls wake up and get them ready for school
7:15am - drop the girls off at school
8:15 -5:00 - school
5:30pm - home to eat with the family
6:30pm - shut myself away to study
7:30pm - help hubby put the girls to bed
8:15pm - more studying
10:00pm - sleep

And despite all the time I spent focused on school, I still struggled to pass all my class.  I was an emotional wreck for probably the last month and dealt with overwhelming anxiety for the entire two months (by the week before finals, I had a perpetual eye twitch).  I regularly questioned why I was putting myself and my family through it all.  All my reasons for doing this seemed so unimportant when faced with the fact that I missed my family so much and I wasn't even excelling at what I was doing.  Then we had to go to the clinic one night and shadow an attending doctor.  I shadowed an amazing allergist.  She taught me so much including how to perform skin testing!  I was asked to look in ears and noses and read testing results.  I had such a great time.  And when I finally got my grades last week, I passed all my classes and I felt so good about what I had accomplished this past semester.  I took Biochemistry and Anatomy in 8 weeks in addition to two other classes and came out on the other side.  I survived the difficult transition into full-time school and being away from my family - and they survived it too!  I only have three more semesters of class work before I begin my rotations.  That's just one year.  I will graduate and go on to have a fulfilling career and teach my children that with hard work and perseverance one can overcome much.  But when coupled with prayer and being in God's will, one can do anything.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, is a hard schedule but you can do it. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete