Friday, January 29, 2016

A Week of Healthy Eats for CHEAP!

When I talk to people about eating healthy, I often get complaints about cost and time.  I get it.  I used to think that eating healthy was expensive and took forever also.  I just finished my grocery shopping for the week though and I spent less than $100.  Did I mention that I will be working 6 of the next 8 evenings (12pm to 8pm) and my husband doesn't cook if he's alone with all three kids?  Today I'm going to share with you how I do it.

As a note, all of my meats are grass-fed, free-range, antibiotic free, hormone free meats from Aldi's.  All of my canned ingredients are organic and are from Aldi's or Wal-Mart.  To save time, try prepping all your veggies over the weekend.  Clean, cut, chop, slice, etc.  You can also go ahead and combine some of your spices in zip lock bags so you don't have to measure out all your ingredients during the week.

Friday (today) - Taco Salad - We'll build ours with Organic Blue Corn chips from Sam's, grass-fed ground beef browned with taco seasoning and with a can of rinsed organic black beans, organic mixed salad greens, salsa, and a homemade guacamole.

Guacamole recipe - Combine 3 avocados peeled, pitted, and mashed with 2 diced roma tomatoes, juice of 1 lime, 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp of minced garlic, and 3T fresh cilantro.  You can add some diced red onion if you like more of a bite to your guacamole.

Saturday - Turkey Chile - heat 1.5 tsp coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Place 1lb ground turkey in the pot and brown.  Stir in 1 chopped onion and cook until tender.  Add 2 cups water.  Mix in 28oz can crushed tomatoes, 16oz can drained and rinsed kidney beans, and 1T minced garlic.  Season with 2T chili powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp sea salt, and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.  Top with sliced avocados.  I'll make this one in the morning and let it cool.  Then refrigerate.  Jonathan will just have to warm it up for dinner.

Sunday - crockpot chicken, sweet potatoes, and green beans.  I'll chop the sweet potatoes and a little onion and place in the bottom of the crockpot and season with a little sea salt.  I'll top with about a pound of chicken breasts that I'll drizzle with olive oil and season with poultry seasoning.  I'll cook on low for about 6 hours.  We'll warm up a can of green beans to eat on the side.

Monday - breakfast - Jonathan and I will have some scrambled eggs with pinto beans (drained, rinsed, and warmed up) and salsa maybe with a few slices of avocado.  The girls will have scrambled eggs with toast.

Tuesday - quinoa enchilada casserole - Julia said she would like to try this, so we'll give it a go.  This is a new one for me, but looks pretty tasty.  http://damndelicious.net/2014/07/07/quinoa-enchilada-casserole/.  You'd have to leave the cheese off to make this detox friendly, but we aren't detoxing in February, so we'll probably go ahead and use the cheese.  I'll make this in the morning and Jonathan will just have to throw it in the oven long enough to warm it up and melt the cheeses when he gets home from work.

Wednesday - Moroccan Shepherds Pie - I've made this one once before and it is so good.  http://ourfourforks.com/moroccan-shepherds-pie-sweet-potato/.  I'll assemble this in the morning and have my babysitter (a.k.a. Mom) throw it in the oven about an hour before dinner time.

Thursday - Fat Flush Soup - I hate the name of this, but my family likes the taste.  http://annlouise.com/2011/10/04/my-famous-fat-flush-soup-recipe/.  I'll prepare it in the morning and Jonathan will just warm it up when he gets home from work.

Friday - this will be a left-over day.  Most of these meals will make enough for some sort of left-overs with the exception of the breakfast.  In addition to eating these left overs on Friday, we will also eat some of them during the week for lunch.

What's your favorite healthy week night meal?

No comments:

Post a Comment