Saturday, April 17, 2010

Pitching the Paci

I wrote yesterday about how we had started paci weaning.  Well last night was a big night.  We had two pacifiers left.  We brought a trashcan into the girls' room and showed each of them that their paci was broken.  We then asked them to throw their last remaining pacis away.  Both girls happily followed directions.  Amelia asked for it once when I was kissing her goodnight.  I reminded her that it was broken and she threw it away and told her that we didn't have anymore.  She seemed satisfied with this answer.

We kissed the girls goodnight at 8:30pm.  It's now 7:20am and I still haven't heard a peep from their room.  Maybe, just maybe, this won't be as hard as I thought it would be.

In other "Big Girl" news, Amelia has stopped calling me Mommy and has instead shortened it to Mom.  That was one milestone I wasn't looking forward to.

Julia showing some serious paci love at 20 months.


Amelia at her 2nd birthday party.

Edit:  The girls woke up about 7:30.  The latest they have in probably a week.  Amelia greeted me with an enthusiastic, "Mommy!".  Julia has already looked in the trashcan for her pacis.  Fortunately I was smart enough to move them to the big trashcan with the lid.   There were no fits.  She just needed to be reminded that they are gone.

6 comments:

  1. I'm hoping our paci removal goes as smoothly, my guys only use theirs in their bed (at nap or bed time) we already don't let them out of the bed until they take it out themselves. I just can't bring myself to notlet them have it to sleep yet. (ALL my other 3 were weaned from it around 12 months!!)
    Good job to you for being strong and good job to the girlies too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it's going so smoothly! It's funny how the stuff that worries us most can be easiest... in my case, I was terrified of how to get Alex to fall sleep once I weaned him. It turned out to be a fairly smooth transition. We were really lucky that he rejected the paci at 5 or 6 months, and we never offered it again. He doesn't remember what he missed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Congratulations! It was horrible getting rid of Halla's pacifiers. I'm sure her dentist is going to have a fit when he realizes she had one til she was 3 1/2, but whatever.

    I love the picture of you and Amelia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! We are in the process of paci weaning too. Mine are 16.5 months and just have them in the bed, but we are phasing them out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's wonderful!
    The Boy also has started to occasionally shorten Momma to Mom. It's bothered me a little because he's starting to seem so impossibly grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our paci-weaning went well too... I thought it was going to be a HUGE deal, but it wasn't!

    Thankfully in our house, the changing "mommy" to "mom" only lasted a couple of days and we were back to "mommy" :)

    ReplyDelete